Shell Beach at sunset. Picture taken from the Pismo Preserve.
Central Coast Chapter Meetings
Saturday, September 11th, 2021
Come and See the Cagliero Plant
Science Facility at Cuesta College
Our location will be Cuesta College's North County Campus. Our host will be Dean Harrell, Cuesta professor and a member of our own Central Coast CRFG chapter.
A message from Dean about our September meeting:
Welcome CRFG members. This meeting is your opportunity to see the North County Campus Plant Science facility in Paso Robles.
I will be your host and tour guide. I am Dean Harrell, a full-time instructor at the college. I gave a pruning talk to the group in January of 2020.
We have a small orchard, vineyard, raised and in ground garden beds on the property. We are in the process of updating the shade structure and do grow a number of container plants.
I will be talking about summer pruning in the orchard. We have found that late summer pruning is beneficial to our tree health.
Also, I will give you some tools to evaluate your soil, and some ideas on how to amend your soil. Many people see soil as a “black box”
but let’s see if I can help to provide some light on the subject. My experience includes many seasons of helping farmers improve their soil health. You are welcome to bring a small bag of soil from your own yard to do a texture test.
I look forward to seeing you on September 11th!
We will be outside and will have shade to sit in while we listen and learn from Dean.
Due to Covid concerns please do not bring food to this event.
Please bring your own:
small bag of soil if you want to do a texture test on soil from your yard
Gathering 1 - 1:30pm
Meeting Starts 1:30pm
Cuesta College North County Campus
2800 Buena Vista Drive, Paso Robles
Directions from Paso Robles:
Go east on Hwy 46.
At stoplight at top of hill (approximately 1 mile from Paso Robles) turn left on Buena Vista Drive.
You will come to a stop sign on Dallons Drive. Continue straight on Buena Vista Drive.
Turn right into lot 10. This is the main campus entrance.
You will come to a stop sign in the parking lot. Turn left.
Follow the sandwich boards to N5300 Cagliero Plant Science Facility. Please drive slowly to minimize dust. Thank you!
Prior to the outbreak of coronavirus, our meetings were usually held the afternoon of the 2nd Saturday of the month, except in February when it was held on the 4th Saturday. In general we gathered at 1pm for socializing and refreshments, then the meeting begins at 1:30.
Most of our meetings were open to the public. We encourage the public to join and learn with us!
Please check out our meeting manners prior to attending.
No pets at any meeting, please!
Our Best CRFG Manners While Visiting Homes, Nurseries, Growers, etc.
1. We never bring pets to meetings/tours and we never even ask if we may!
2. We do our best to use public facilities or our own restroom before the meeting.
3. We do our best not to ask to go inside the hosts’ home.
4. We never pick fruit, flowers, foliage, weeds, seed pods and we never even ask.
5. We do our best to car pool and park with great respect to our host and the neighborhood.
6. We never talk when our host is talking. We do our best to stay up close when given a tour.
7. We never “take over” the tour and tell everyone how we do it at our home!!
8. We have thoughtful questions but try not to ask questions that embarrass our host.
9. We do our best to help our host feel good, feel appreciated. We clean up our mess.
10. We stay on the path, with our host …and never go walking around on our own unless given permission by the host.
11. At the end of the tour, we make a special effort to thank the host. We “gather up” and have some sort of “closure” to the tour.
12. We even write thank you notes when we get home, especially if we asked a lot of questions, were impressed, were surprised, were treated well. We write thank you notes even when we are not the leader!