Shell Beach at sunset. Picture taken from the Pismo Preserve.
Central Coast Chapter Meetings & Other Events
Our Newsletter Keeps Everyone Up To Date.
Send Us Your Photos & Events!
Let others know what's going on by sending your articles, photos, and event info to: email@example.com
Please submit your items by the 15th of each month for inclusion in the next newsletter.
October Chapter Meeting: North County Master Gardeners' Demonstration Garden
Date: Saturday, October 8, 2022
12:30 – 1:30 for set up, refreshments and socializing.
Refrshments: Bring something for yourself or to share. Please bring your own water, preferably in your own container.
Meet in the Pergola area where there are picnic tables and benches.
We have invited the Cal Poly Ag Student CRFG Scholarship recipients for a Meet & Greet.
1:30-3:00 Meeting and Presentations: Master Gardeners Demonstration
The Master Gardeners will be doing presentations and giving us information about their demonstration garden.
Location: Centennial Park, 600 Nickerson Drive across from Red Cloud Rd, Paso Robles.
The Master Gardeners provided this description:
“The new Centennial Park Demonstration Garden (CPDG) is a 3500sf garden located in Paso Robles’ Centennial Park, a vibrant, busy and beautiful center for community recreation. Since February 2022 when the SLO County Master Gardeners took on the responsibility for the under-tended and overgrown garden, we have removed junk, cleared weeds, cut failed trees, installed a new irrigation system, laid out plots and installed border stone. Come and see the garden ready for the next steps in its renovation and learn about the shared goals we have set with the City of Paso Robles for this soon-to-be pretty and productive plot of land.”
SLO County Master Gardener Events
SLO Master Gardeners give free monthly talks and/or demonstrations for the public in the garden at Sierra and Bishop, on the third Saturday from 10-12, from spring through fall. Plants are also often sold during the events.
Location: Garden of the Seven Sisters
2156 Sierra Way San Luis Obispo CA 93401
August 20: Avocado Care and Updates for Citrus and Fig Trees Features a talk about the black fig fly.
September 17: Tool Maintenance and Repair, and Rainwater Collection for Home Gardeners
October 15: Soil Improvement for the Home Garden
During the pandemic, the chapter also started making Instagram and You Tube videos about gardening and orchard care. For these and other information, visit:
Prior to the outbreak of coronavirus, our meetings were usually held the afternoon of the 2nd Saturday of the month, except in February when it was held on the 4th Saturday. In general we gathered at 1pm for socializing and refreshments, then the meeting begins at 1:30.
Most of our meetings were open to the public. We encourage the public to join and learn with us!
Please check out our meeting manners prior to attending.
No pets at any meeting, please!
Our Best CRFG Manners While Visiting Homes, Nurseries, Growers, etc.
1. We never bring pets to meetings/tours and we never even ask if we may!
2. We do our best to use public facilities or our own restroom before the meeting.
3. We do our best not to ask to go inside the hosts’ home.
4. We never pick fruit, flowers, foliage, weeds, seed pods and we never even ask.
5. We do our best to car pool and park with great respect to our host and the neighborhood.
6. We never talk when our host is talking. We do our best to stay up close when given a tour.
7. We never “take over” the tour and tell everyone how we do it at our home!!
8. We have thoughtful questions but try not to ask questions that embarrass our host.
9. We do our best to help our host feel good, feel appreciated. We clean up our mess.
10. We stay on the path, with our host …and never go walking around on our own unless given permission by the host.
11. At the end of the tour, we make a special effort to thank the host. We “gather up” and have some sort of “closure” to the tour.
12. We even write thank you notes when we get home, especially if we asked a lot of questions, were impressed, were surprised, were treated well. We write thank you notes even when we are not the leader!